UA-9726592-1

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Scott Randolph, a real Democrat in Florida


Dear Friends,

It’s a new year, and the start of a new term in the Florida House of Representatives. Thank you for giving me another opportunity to represent you, your issues, and your concerns for another term.

Florida faces a whopping $4.6 billion budget shortfall after the expiration of the nearly $12 billion in federal Recovery money, used for the last two years to fund education, transportation and health care for seniors and children. Despite these problems, the Governor continues to propose tax cuts for large corporations at the expense of the middle class. I will continue to be an advocate for the middle class, and I will not hesitate to speak out against these bad policies.


As always, my priorities this year will focus on legislation that is good for Florida’s middle class. This week, I filed the Competitive Workforce Act, legislation that will ensure equality in the workplace and attract employers to Florida.

It’s an important step in growing our economy and moving Florida forward. More than 80% of Fortune 500 companies have fully inclusive non-discrimination policies. By demonstrating that Florida respects and protects diversity, we can attract new employers and high-paying jobs to the state.

I also filed a bill to increase funding for low-cost spay and neuter programs. While not a conventional cost-cutting measure, this bill could actually save local governments $30 to $40 million annually.

Each year, local governments in Florida spend nearly $90 million euthanizing more than 150,000 cats and dogs. Not only is this an inhumane practice, it’s a strain on the budgets of local government. Other states that have initiated similar programs have seen their costs reduced by as much as 40% within a few short years.

To hear my take on the upcoming legislative session, watch my interview with Craig Patrick, of Central Florida Spotlight here.

At home in district 36, I’ve been attending great community events with supporters and friends. On Saturday, I was invited to the Lake County DEC breakfast, with over 100 members in attendance!

The weekend before, I spoke at the Veterans’ Flag Pole Project Dedication Ceremony (check out my Facebook page for pictures of the event!) I was also honored to march in two Martin King Luther Jr. Day Parades!

If you know of a community event in the future, send me an invitation at scott.randolph@myfloridahouse.gov, on Facebook, or tweet me details on Twitter!


UP NEXT: IN TALLAHASEE: The Governor plans to release his proposed budget on February 7th, and I’ll be back in Tallahassee for legislative committee meetings that same week.

IN CENTRAL FLORIDA: I’ll be speaking at the Kiwanis Club Meeting on February 4th at 12 p.m., at the Orlando Day Nursery.
Sincerely,

Scott

District 36 is in Central Florida with its center in Orlando. it good to see at least one Florida Democrat in the state house who is not a Blue Dog type.

Subscribe to the Rightardia feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/UFPYA Netcraft rank: 6605 http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://rightardia.blogspot.com

No comments: