UA-9726592-1

Sunday, March 28, 2010

'Battlefield Earth' Screenwriter Writes Apology for worst movie of the decade

First Posted: 03-28-10 09:16 AM | Updated: 03-28-10 09:33 AM

'Battlefield Earth' won a Razzie for the worst movie of the decade this month, and screenwriter J.D. Shapiro has written a long, hilarious apology and explanation for in the NY Post.

The movie was a sci-fi bomb based on a novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. The movie starred John Travolta.

Shapiro came about the project in 1994 by reading that the Scientology Center was a "great place to meet women," but found it wasn't. He ended up meeting Karen Hollander, president of the center, who was a fan of the Shapiro-penned "Robin Hood: Men in Tights." She suggested a movie based on a book by Hubbard.

He agreed, dined with John Travolta, wrote and sold a script to studios that he was proud of, and then had that script radically altered.

But first he tried Scientology:

I took a few courses, including the Purification Rundown, or Purif. You go to CC [Celebrity Center] every day, take vitamins and go in and out of a sauna so toxins are released from your body. You're supposed to reach an "End Point." I never did, but I was bored so I told them I had a vision of L. Ron.

The resident Scientologists said, "What did he say?" "Pull my finger," was my response. They said I was done.


source: Huffington Post

Subscribe to the Rightardia feed: feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/IGiu

Netcraft rank: 7465 http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://rightardia.blogspot.com


No comments: